incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject On Etch status
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 08:39:13 GMT
Etch is a cross-platform, language- and transport-independent
framework for building and consuming network services. The Etch
toolset includes a network service description language, a compiler,
and binding libraries for a variety of programming languages. It
currently supports C, C# and Java. Support for Go, JavaScript and
Python is deemed alpha status.

Etch has 4 mentors listed: Yonik, Doug, Niclas and myself. Currently
it seems I am the only mentor active.

The facts:

 - We have roughly 4 active contributors: 3 committers and 1 person
responding to messages on the dev/user lists.
 - We know how to add committers: the 3 currently active committers
were all not part of the team when incubation started. One of them was
voted in in the last half year.
 - The community is diverse, or as diverse you can get in a 4 person group.
 - We know how to cut releases.
 - Reporting has been on schedule.

The podling is IMO ready to graduate, but lacks a sustainable
community (as noted elsewhere). The podling started out as a project
of Cisco, and had an active group of committers, but when the economy
happened, the team was disbanded and effectively left the podling
stranded.

When I think of the reasons why people are reluctant to join Etch, I think that:
 - being in incubation hinders adoption of the code base
 - its use is not advertised well (e.g. BMW uses it in their Minis)
 - competition in the networking library space is fierce (though not
too many libs exist)

The project can address 2, 3 is something external and the IPMC can address 1.

Now the big question: is Etch a candidate for graduating to TLP?

I think it is, given the facts. It will be a TLP with issues of
activity, but so far user questions, development questions are
answered and releases are cut. The website has been updated recently,
so I don't see an immediate danger of the project going south. I think
that graduation of the podling will be a good thing and might give the
project a bit of renewed energy.

So... What to do?

Martijn