incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Small but otherwise happy podlings
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 04:41:45 GMT
On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
> This has been the subject of prior conversations, but I'm opening a
> thread in some hope of reaching a definitive resolution.
> Some of our non-graduating podlings have a common problem. They look
> good in all ways except growth. This inhibits graduation from 2.5
> standpoints:
> 1) they are dubiously large enough to sustain as a TLP.
> 2) they don't have much (or any) track record in incorporating new contributors.
> 2.5) they might not be very diverse. I list this as a .5 because I
> think that we've established that diversity is a lower priority.
> There are some possible responses to this situation.
> a) toss them out of the incubator.
> b) keep them in the incubator indefinitely.
> c) graduate them, but with some conditions.

Should smaller incubator projects be encouraged to graduate as
sub-projects of existing projects or is that not an option anymore?
Specifically, I was thinking about Amber, which might just work as a
sub-project of Apache Shiro if they are too small to make it on their
own. However, we (the Shiro PMC) haven't suggested this to them and
they haven't contacted us. Since Jakarta, my understanding is that the
incubator would rather see the projects graduating as TLPs, not
sub-projects, is that correct?

Kalle