incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Q. Forks without concensus?; A. anytime / depends / never without agreement
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2012 04:53:21 GMT

On Jan 6, 2012, at 8:17 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> The ASF is not about code; it is about community.  If a community forks, or otherwise
emerges around a codebase, we are not accepting the CODE: we are accepting the COMMUNITY.

> And it seems to me that if we are to say that a COMMUNITZY is not permitted to participate
despite use of code that is perfectly proper according to the license, then we are beggaring
out own license, the whole point of which is to permit forks, and to prevent a sole copyright
holder from assuming control over the community.

> If a corporation were to create an ASF-licensed codebase, and later decide to "take back"
control, would we refuse a COMMUNITY-based project based on that codebase?

The answer to that is yes. It has happened.

Ralph