incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] eliminate vetoes on personnel votes
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 23:21:39 GMT
On 1/31/2012 5:05 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> In replacement, I propose the following concrete actions:
>
> 1. Move the Incubator process/policy/documentation, etc., to ComDev - I
> agree with gstein on this. I think it could be maintained by the ASF community
> folks there, and updated over time. But it's not vastly or rapidly changing really
> anymore.
>
> 2. Discharge the Incubator PMC and the role of Incubator VP -- pat everyone on
> the back, go have a beer, watch the big game together, whatever. Call it a
> success, not a failure.
>
> 3. Suggest at the board level that an Incubation "process" still exists at Apache,
> in the same way that it exists today. New projects write a proposal, the proposal
> is VOTEd on by the board at the board's next monthly meeting, and those
> that cannot be are QUEUED for the next meeting, or VOTEd on during out of
> board inbetween time on board@. Refer those wanting to "Incubate" at Apache
> to the existing Incubator documentation maintained by the ComDev community.
> Tell them to ask questions there, about the process, about what to do, or if
> ideas make sense. But *not* to VOTE on whether they are accepted or not.

Note that at the time the incubator was created, there was no particular
process.  Projects entered the ASF helter-skelter, without really following
any template.

Also, the legal committee was not a resource, comdev was not a resource,
trademarks was not a resource, press was not a resource.

I think it's sort of silly to suggest that resource needs are completely
isolated to either incubating efforts, or TLP efforts.

So the question is, what does the incubator provide today that should be
persisted as a resource to any incubating or full project?  Obviously,
mentorship; but comdev seems like a really good home for that.