incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Regular rotation PMC chair
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:15:20 GMT
On 01/29/2012 02:15 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
On 01/29/2012 02:15 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> There's always the perennial chat here and there about rotating the PMC chair on a regular
basis. It's my understanding that other PMCs have adopted this policy and are quite happy
with it.  It's also my understanding that some in this community think it would be a good
idea to do it here.

> Good idea?  What should be the term length?  Should the current chair be forced to resign
or can the person re-run for the next term?  If forced to resign can the person re-run for
a term sometime in the future?  If not forced to resign is there a limit to the number of
terms that can be held?

I think it is a good idea to have the position of the PMC Chair limited to a
pre-defined term, so everybody knows and recognizes this is as an appointed
position, not tied to a specific person.
I think it is healthy both for the community *and* the appointed PMC Chair
itself, to not get too much 'attached' or accustomed to the position, which
could make it increasingly more difficult to 'detach' from it over time. Or that
a community simply doesn't recognize it anymore as something questionable.

IMO a PMC Chair which has and retains the support of the rest of the PMC need
not resign and can maintain that position for as long the PMC supports it.
But it would be good to 'touch base' after every term, making it easier and less
awkward for others to step up proposing themselves, or others, as candidate for
a next term.
If nobody else is proposed as candidate (and the current Chair is willing to
continue), everything stays the same. But it should be notified to the board in
the next report the current PMC Chair was re-elected for the next term.

What length such a term should be, probably can be discussed endlessly, and I
expect it will be, if we make it an important topic. IMO it is not.

 From a pragmatic POV I propose a one year term, same as with the Board's term
and easy not to forget or ignore.

One typical argument I'll expect against this at large is that a good PMC Chair
needs time and experience to grow into the position. Which I agree with.
A PMC Chair position which is *rotated* every year definitely sound undesirable
to me because it doesn't allow the current Chair time to properly build up this
experience.
But that should be obvious to everyone involved. So common sense can expect a
PMC to grant a chosen Chair more than a year's term to 'prove' himself and build
up the needed experience. And re-electing (or not proposing other candidates)
the current Chair then should be a trivial matter, even allowed by lazy
consensus for all I care.

And I'd prefer something like the above to be made formal 'policy' by the board,
so there will be no need to discuss this over and over again.

Effectively, I don't think any of this would or should have *any* consequences
for PMCs and their Chairs doing a good job for years already. Actually more a
confirmation and (internal) praise for the tremendous job they've been doing.

To me personally, this includes Noel Bergman, fulfilling a tremendously
difficult job on behalf of the Incubator PMC. If there is one PMC Chair position
within the ASF which needs a *very* experienced person to fulfill it, this one
surely is.

Regards,
Ate