incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Rave 0.7-incubating
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:14:26 GMT
On 01/23/2012 10:56 PM, Ate Douma wrote:
> On 01/23/2012 10:30 PM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>> On 1/23/12 3:29 PM, "sebb"<sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> NOTICE file says:
>>>
>>> Apache Rave
>>> Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation
>>>
>>> Is this still correct?
>>
>> The release was spun on January 4th of 2012 and there were 4 minor changes
>> made between 2012& the release. Based on prior discussions on this list,
>> minor changes don't seem to be a blocker [1]. Additionally, I have
>> created a JIRA ticket for updating the copyright date on all NOTICE files
>> [2].
>>
>> [1] : http://markmail.org/message/3b776xpdzijynypc
>> [2] : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAVE-439
>>

> Besides this being a minor and certainly non-blocker issue, a similar question
> came up just last week on legal-discuss@ where the question was if every
> copyright statement would need to be 'bumped' to adjust for the new year. Greg
> Stein provided IMO a nice and clear (follow up) answer about the importance of
> how and when to do this [3]:
>
> <quote>
> Actually, the shorter answer is "get it close, but don't worry about it."
> (per a lawyer friend of mine)
>
> What you put in the header is advisory. If you end up in court, it has zero
> impact compared to the actual commit history that demonstrates it is your
> work. "Your work" is the operative issue; not when you happened to do that
> work."
> </quote>
> Original message and thread link: http://markmail.org/message/v3n7vyd4anxmgzbn

On second thought, the above quote might not be relevant in *this* context, as
in this case it concerns the NOTICE file, not some copyrighted resource itself.

Nonetheless, the fact this was a release cut on January 4th, I think it truely
isn't of much concern anyway, and for subsequent releases we'll adjust the
copyright date.

I do however very much appreciate the proper review and feedback from sebb, and
others on general@ alike, because all these tiny issues are soo easy to overlook!

Thanks, Ate