incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Accumulo 1.3.5-incubating (rc8)
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:14:08 GMT
On 2 December 2011 14:12, Billie J Rinaldi <> wrote:
> On Friday, December 2, 2011 7:11:36 AM, "sebb" <> wrote:
>> Cannot find KEYS file to verify the sigs.
> It's here:

Thanks, please include the link in future vote mails.

>> The md5 and sha hash files have an unusual format that is unlikely to
>> be recognised by many automated checkers.
> The sections on checksums in the release FAQ list gpg as an acceptable method of generating
those files.  If it isn't, perhaps this could be changed in the FAQ?

OK, but that does say "filename" rather than "pathname".  The
"target/" prefix needs to be removed.
[I will update the page later.]

So please remove the spurious target/ prefixes from the next RC.

>> Though it looks more like the source was accidentally included,
>> perhaps because source and generated output share the same directory
>> structure?
> The source is intentionally included in the dist.  We can fix that .toc file.

Most other projects release binary (rather than dist) archives; the
binary archive will contain those source files that are used at
runtime, but normally files that have been compiled into a jar are
omitted. But this is not a blocker.

>> Also contains various jar files, which is also OK except that the 3rd
>> party jars need to be properly documented in the NOTICE and LICENSE
>> files.
>> Ideally, the jar files created from Accumulo source should contain
>> their own N & L files in the META-INF directory.
>> For example, see how the included Apache commons-* jars do it.
>> This becomes essential if the jars are to be released independently,
>> for example to Maven Central.
> We'll look into the notice and license file issues.
>> The cloudtrace jar classes have the package name cloudtrace/xxxx
>> I assume this is going to change before graduation?
>> In which case, I think there may be an issue with the Maven pom id.
>> Currently it uses:
>> <groupId>org.apache.accumulo</groupId>
>> <artifactId>cloudtrace</artifactId>
>> If the package name is changed, then one or both of the above need to
>> change as well, otherwise Maven won't be able to resolve dependencies
>> correctly where multiple versions are used (long story).
> We'll make sure to change the artifactID when changing the package name.

OK; again not a blocker.