incubator-general mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Feedback on updated NOTICE and LICENSE files (was: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating)
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 21:34:11 GMT
Thanks Kevan.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2011, at 12:54 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:
>
>> Here's another one, say Apache TLP A includes works from Apache TLP B,
>> is this (B) a "third-party" work or not? Are the "parties" in this
>> case singular "the ASF" or the TLPs? Specifically, do I need to
>> include the NOTICE file from B in the NOTICE file for A?
>
> The parties are the ASF, not the TLPs. However, that doesn't mean you can completely
ignore TLP B's NOTICE file.

> TLP B's NOTICE file should contain the notice information for TLP B followed by the required
information for B's third-party works.

> TLP A's NOTICE does not need to (or should not) include the notice information for TLP
B (we're all part of the ASF), but TLP A's NOTICE does need to include the third-party information
from TLP B's NOTICE file.

> Concretely, assume this is TLP B's NOTICE:
>
>   Apache B
>   Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation
>
>   This product includes software developed by
>   The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>
>   Portions of this software were developed by the Foo project at http://foo.org
>
> The portion of this NOTICE relevant to TLP A is the information about the Foo project.
TLP A's NOTICE file need not mention TLP B, but does need to mention Foo (assuming your embedding
of B includes Foo). If it's obvious that the Foo does not apply to your use of B (i.e. Foo
is used for a C client that is not used by TLP A), then you need not mention Foo.