incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Flex for Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:06:28 GMT
On 21 December 2011 10:59, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:42 AM, William A. Rowe Jr.
> <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> On 12/21/2011 4:16 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>>
>>> I totally agree that the use of the Apache Flex trademark needs to be
>>> clearly defined - once the podling starts.
>>
>> Or rather, before it is allowed to graduate.  That is but one of the many
>> steps during graduation, determine the provenience of the code, and the
>> provenience of the mark....
>
> I absolutely agree with that, thanks for clarifying.

I too agree with that, however I'm not happy with the current wording
of this part of the proposal. My concern is that what was acceptable
to a previous community structure may not be acceptable to the Apache
community structure. We have seen this to our cost in other podlings.
Such confusion has led to a considerable number of volunteer hours
being expended on helping PPMCs solve these problems.

I think much of this wasted effort can be limited by managing
expectations at proposal stage. For this reason I request a subtle,
but important (for me), change in the wording of the proposal as
follows:

"Existing Flex-related conferences, podcasts and websites should be
allowed to continue using “Flex” as part of their
name - however such existing sites will be expected to conform to
Apaches existing trademark policies
(http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/)"

Ross