incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Flex for Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:06:28 GMT
On 21 December 2011 10:59, Bertrand Delacretaz <> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:42 AM, William A. Rowe Jr.
> <> wrote:
>> On 12/21/2011 4:16 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>> I totally agree that the use of the Apache Flex trademark needs to be
>>> clearly defined - once the podling starts.
>> Or rather, before it is allowed to graduate.  That is but one of the many
>> steps during graduation, determine the provenience of the code, and the
>> provenience of the mark....
> I absolutely agree with that, thanks for clarifying.

I too agree with that, however I'm not happy with the current wording
of this part of the proposal. My concern is that what was acceptable
to a previous community structure may not be acceptable to the Apache
community structure. We have seen this to our cost in other podlings.
Such confusion has led to a considerable number of volunteer hours
being expended on helping PPMCs solve these problems.

I think much of this wasted effort can be limited by managing
expectations at proposal stage. For this reason I request a subtle,
but important (for me), change in the wording of the proposal as

"Existing Flex-related conferences, podcasts and websites should be
allowed to continue using “Flex” as part of their
name - however such existing sites will be expected to conform to
Apaches existing trademark policies

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message