incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <>
Subject Re: Feedback on updated NOTICE and LICENSE files (was: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating)
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 22:50:05 GMT

On Dec 2, 2011, at 3:51 PM, Jakob Homan wrote:

> So I hope it's clear why it's frustrating to
> have this rule suddenly pop up when it's apparently not enforced in
> the majority of cases (and then to be asked to go and open JIRAs for
> each of these projects on top of it).

This requirement is fairly well documented, IMO. The incubator's release documentation is
here --

The LICENSE and NOTICE file requirements are documented here --
I don't think this should come as a big surprise...

OK. Some of that wording is too weak, IMO. "All the licenses on all the files to be included
within a package should be included in the LICENSE document. " The "should be" is probably
referring to a single LICENSE file as opposed to multiple license files in a license/ directory.

I do understand that this is a frustrating process. You have code that's ready and want to
release it. Many projects going through the incubator have gone through this same pain. However,
it is important, IMO.

I spend a fair amount of time on the Geronimo project. We have a lot of dependencies…

We document source and binary licenses in a single LICENSE/NOTICE file. I have seen projects
maintain separate LICENSE/NOTICE files for their source and binary distributions.  To be honest,
I'm not sure what form is preferred. I'd be happy to see either…

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message