incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Feedback on updated NOTICE and LICENSE files (was: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating)
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:49:59 GMT

On Dec 6, 2011, at 12:54 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:

> Here's another one, say Apache TLP A includes works from Apache TLP B,
> is this (B) a "third-party" work or not? Are the "parties" in this
> case singular "the ASF" or the TLPs? Specifically, do I need to
> include the NOTICE file from B in the NOTICE file for A?

The parties are the ASF, not the TLPs. However, that doesn't mean you can completely ignore
TLP B's NOTICE file.

TLP B's NOTICE file should contain the notice information for TLP B followed by the required
information for B's third-party works.

TLP A's NOTICE does not need to (or should not) include the notice information for TLP B (we're
all part of the ASF), but TLP A's NOTICE does need to include the third-party information
from TLP B's NOTICE file.

Concretely, assume this is TLP B's NOTICE:

   Apache B
   Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation

   This product includes software developed by

   Portions of this software were developed by the Foo project at http://foo.org

The portion of this NOTICE relevant to TLP A is the information about the Foo project. TLP
A's NOTICE file need not mention TLP B, but does need to mention Foo (assuming your embedding
of B includes Foo). If it's obvious that the Foo does not apply to your use of B (i.e. Foo
is used for a C client that is not used by TLP A), then you need not mention Foo.

Assuming Foo is relevant, A's NOTICE would be:

   Apache A
   Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation

   This product includes software developed by

   Portions of this software were developed by the Foo project at http://foo.org

--kevan