incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Can (Podling) Projects collect funds through certification programs?
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:46:34 GMT
In general, the ASF does not accept targeted donations, nor does it
allow it's projects (or podlings) to perform their own independent
fundraising activities.  Our general fundraising policy is that any
donations are to the ASF as a whole, and not to individual projects or
podlings.

Our projects/podlings are certainly welcome to link to and encourage
users to visit our Donations or Sponsorship pages.

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html
   http://www.apache.org/foundation/sponsorship.html

As other IPMC members have noted separately, projects/podlings may have
a separate page on their sites that lists various third parties who
offer services, consulting, training, certification, or the like around
their specific software product; that may include commercial third
parties.  Such listings should *not* be advertisements - they should be
links with brief descriptions (or similar) that are useful to users or
contributors to that particular project/podling's software or community.

Does that all help?

A useful page to read about how a PPMC might decide what links to put on
pages like this is here:

   http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence.html

Healthy Apache projects recognize that having an ecosystem of volunteers
and commercial companies working on/with/around their software is
helpful both for our users and for the Apache project itself.  We are
happy to let our user communities know about the work of these other
volunteers and companies - as long as it's done in a factual way, and
doesn't imply endorsement or approval of any specific companies over
other ones.

- Shane