incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Flex for Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:35:51 GMT

On Dec 20, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 20 December 2011 22:35, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
> wrote:
>> On 12/20/2011 4:24 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>> The proposal says "Existing Flex-related conferences, podcasts and
>>> websites should be allowed to continue using “Flex” as part of their
>>> name - Apache Flex will have to create guidelines for that."
>>>
>>> Whilst I don't see any problem with that in principle it would be
>>> really useful to itemise these items so that we know what we are
>>> dealing with.
>>
>> It's a problem as a blanket statement.  If the project is not going
>> to donate its name, it needs to pick a new name on its way into the
>> incubator, before graduation.
>
> The proposal does say the Flex trademark is being donated. The above
> is an indication that there are groups already using that mark and
> they should be allowed to continue to do so. My concern is that there
> may be a for profit using this trademark that expects to continue to
> use it. That, I imagine, would be unacceptable. even not-for-profits
> might present complications.
>
> Better to understand what these might be in advance.

A quick search of the internet shows these potential conflicts as well:

flex.org run by Adobe Platform Evangelism Team; will this site die or
will Apache be expected to maintain it with volunteers?

http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/

flex.at © 2008 Flex. All rights reserved. Site by instant>>>>

flex.com ISP in Hawaii

openshift.redhat.com/app/flex

I'd really like to have trademarks and legal take a closer look at
this... We know what a nightmare name conflicts are, even when the
name in question is as well-known and well-understood as this one.

Craig

>> We love adoption.  We don't want entities to misrepresent themselves
>> as the ASF project itself or that they are endorsed by the ASF.
>
> Exactly
>
> Ross
>

> --
> Ross Gardler (@rgardler)