incubator-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_l...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: should podlings have informal chairs?
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 03:50:40 GMT

: We should be reporting to the board about OUR work, not the work of
: the podlings.  Podlings should only be brought in for a few specific
: examplesto mention.  That's the first thing to correct.

While I generally agree with everything you suggest, your entire premise
seems to be in direct conflict with everything that I've ever seen/heard
brought up regarding the point of Board Reports and the argument against
"Umbrella Projects" -- notably ....

 * Umbrella Projects add a layer of indirection that make it hard for the
board to know when there are problems in the individual (sub/leaf)
projects.

 * The Board needs regular status updates on all the projects in the ASF
(where podlings are considered projects)

While it seems to be historically accepted that the Incubator is one the
exception/exemption to the "No Umbrella" rule, I seem to recall it being
argued that that exemption doesn't change the fact the individual podling
reports are suppose to propogate all the way up to the board to. (but i
could be wrong)

That said: (Even if i am remembering correctly) Things change.

If the new world order is that the Membership is cool with the IPMC acting
as a proxy for the Board, and that the Board doens't need to "lay hands"
on direct reports from each project/podling, then so be it .... just makes
me wonder if that means there should be some re-consideration of the
Umbrella rule in general -- Because another way to help scale the
governance of the ASF as a whole would be to add some Umbrella management
for groups of projects that have a lot of overlap)

-Hoss