incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: should podlings have informal chairs?
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:08:33 GMT
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:03 AM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> To me a lot of the problem stems from the fact that the reports are
> misdirected- instead of informing the board about the activities of
> the IPMC, it tells them about the podling's activities, which doesn't
> scale properly.
>
> We should be reporting to the board about OUR work, not the work of
> the podlings.  Podlings should only be brought in for a few specific
> examplesto mention.  That's the first thing to correct.

I really don't see a huge report actually. What are we doing?
- we vote podlings in and do some discussions on them. Thats already
on the report
- from time to time we work on the website. This is/was on the report too.

So what else do we do?

Mentoring, of course. What would you like to report here, what is not
on the podlings report? Actually Mentors don't do much stuff if we
look honest at it. Maybe help with graduation or starting with
incubation, writing some emails with "how it all works" and looking at
the releases. This is not so interesting alone.

> Once we start reporting about the crap WE did, then we can start figuring
> out all the crap that's not getting done by mentors who aren't participating.

How can we see this? Mentors who don't contribute to a report?

> It doesn't matter that there are lots of well-intentioned but otherwise useless
> people mentoring projects, the fact is that they only harm the org by not prodding
> these projects along a graduation path or funneling them towards the exit door.  Part
> of how they manage to get away with that is that we pretend its important to a podling
> to create a sustainable community around itself, which is something most of them
> have no control over.  That is the reason for the long bouts of stalling on many
> levels, we need to do the sane thing and drop that bit of pretense, and yes even
> graduating projects that haven't necessarily met the silly developer diversity
> requirements- rules are not appropriate here, only very fuzzy benchmarks.

I agree on the fuzzy benchmarks.

But how can you, as mentor, help with community building (hope I got
this right). Just because a mentor says "thou shalt build up a
community" this will not cause people to do it. I have had tried that
out, but it doesn't work. It depends on the podling people, not on the
mentors.

> WE are responsible for evaluating the progress of our podlings, ALL of them, and
> clutch can help us do that at a basic level as a group.  But we need to figure out,
> quickly, how to change the review process for podling reports in a scalable way
> without us all being burnt out all at once.

+1

> I think the review needs to take place
> over a few days, on the podling's own dev lists, by 3 IPMC members actively voting
> on them.  We can still collate the podling reports on the wiki, but the report we
> hand to the board should come from us, and it should be the product of those reviews.

How does that look like? A podling says, we work to increase community
participation. How can one say this is not the case - because what
actually does "work on increasing community participation" mean. Other
thing mentioned often is: "we work towards a new release". I doubt a
mentor will find different, if a podling writes this on the report.

> We can do this wiki-style if we want to, or just have Noel poll this list for "mentor
> comments" to be included in the report.

+1 on "Mentor Comments" on the podling reports, but optional. What
should a mentor write if everything on the report is ok? Actually I
read and correct my podlings reports before I sign them. I guess this
should be enough.

> A quick scan of the podling lists wrt those
> report votes should be sufficient to determine if a podling needs more IPMC representation,
> and can be done by Noel or collectively if we'd like to start doing more cross-checking.
>
> WDYT?

Reading this, I don't think we should rely on more bureaucracy. But I
think you mentioned something important, the fuzzy benchmarks. There
are some we can make more critical, like: sign copyright stuff within
3 months or leave. Something like that.

You also mentioned that the IPMC should take care on the podlings as a
whole. I like this idea. Actually I have helped on the Wave project
even when not a mentor to it. The IPMC is the only project I know at
the ASF which is not really community. People join the IPMC when they
see an interesting project and leave without a further words
sometimes. Actually we have more than 100 IPMC members, but only a few
active (see the recent threads and you know who is active).

This leads me to the impression, that not everybody familiar with the
Apache way (aka Committers, Members) must join the IPMC to mentor a
project. Yes, it is about voting. Lets assume 3 non-ipmc mentors would
vote +1 on a release. The same vote does happen on general@ usually
were IPMC members should agree too. As the votes are backuped on
general@, why is it necessary to have these 3 mentors on the IPMC?
After graduation, these 3 people are probably not interested in doing
anything else here.

This would lead to a smaller IPMC with people interested in the
incubator as a whole. These small group is the actual community here
and they speak about processes, websites, reports and so on. And they
are required finally to reread the reports of the podlings.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de