incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rebooting the Incubator? (was: Does Apache Have a 'Rule' Problem...)
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 06:52:23 GMT
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...Let's see if we can find a small group of members of the IPMC who are,
>> in fact, willing to take seriously the task of supervision....
>
> There is such a group already - even though that might be a small
> percentage of the IPMC membership (because that PMC is big), there is
> a sizable group that does take supervision seriously.

Yes, I estimate 10 or maybe 15. There are more than 100 IPMC members
subscribed. You could say we have an activity ratio of 10%, if my
estimation is correct.

>> ...If we can build such a group, it would be the logical nucleus of a
>> reboot. If not, well, we've got other problems...
>
> I don't think a reboot is needed. Some specific points need improving
> (how to cope with missing reports and inactive mentors, more efficient
> reporting to the board, clarifying our docs) but that doesn't mean the
> incubator is broken.
>
> Working in small, concrete, reversible steps is usually the best way
> to get things done at the ASF - let's just do that.

Some of them easily reversible, some not so easy to reverse. But all concrete:
http://markmail.org/thread/5ozneudwrww3nq5x
But all uncommented.

Cheers
Christian