incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:03:40 GMT
On 28 November 2011 21:17, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2011, at 9:51 AM, Neha Narkhede wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the feedback, I still have some questions.
>>
>> 1. Alan, this nunit license acknowledgement is missing from the NOTICE file
>> since RC1 and RC1 had the nunit files. Since cutting RCs is a significant
>> time investment, we'd appreciate if you could list all the concerns you
>> have once.
>
> I do not hold back my concerns hand them out in piecemeal fashion.  I overlooked the
DLL in earlier release candidate reviews; I made a mistake.  :)

>> 2. Sebb, if you have feedback on what should be removed from the file, we'd
>> appreciate the exact list of items that are OK to be removed from the
>> NOTICE. It is still unclear to us on what should and should not be included.
>
> I think that Sebb has made some good suggestions.  It is not a requirement that the
NOTICE file be minimal.  Let's worry about this for the 0.7.x or 0.8.0 release.

I was told a long time ago that it was important that the NOTICE file
only include items that apply.
IIRC, the reasoning I was given was that the NOTICE file imposes
requirements on downstream users.

I don't unfortunately have the reference to hand.
[At the time I was just starting to create a release and did not
realise there was so much that was undocumented or partially
documented]

>> 3. Ant, thanks for the suggestion earlier. We'd like this discussion to
>> conclude with the exact contents of the LICENSE and NOTICE files.
>>
>> Better yet, can all these Apache nitty gritty items be listed on some wiki
>> that the incubator RMs can follow and depend on ?
>>
>> I understand that the incubator process depends on the mentors to give such
>> feedback, but clearly that is insufficient.
>
> IIUC, all that really needs to be done is to add NUnit to the NOTICE and LICENSE files.
>
> We can perform all the other suggestions in a subsequent release.  I invite those who
are interested to join the kafka project at kafka-dev and submit patches.  :)

That's where I'm not sure.