incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 01:37:30 GMT
On 14 November 2011 19:52, Neha Narkhede <> wrote:
> Hi,
> Kafka community is excited to share that RC for release of
> Kafka-0.7.0-incubating has been +1'd over at kafka-user@incubator.
> Please try it out and vote for the Apache Kafka 0.7.0-incubating release.
> This is the first release of Kafka since we've joined the Apache incubator.
> Vote thread
> Release artifacts

There's no source archive.
ASF primarily releases source; binary archives are optional (but
almost always provided).
Source archives are required.

The binary archive is huge; this is mainly because it contains
multiple copies of many jars.
It would be better for users if there was a single copy of each jar,
and an installation script to copy them after unpacking.

> SVN revision

The normal practice is to use an SVN tag for the release vote, for example:

If the vote succeeds, rename/copy it to

If the vote fails, create a new tag:

There is no DISCLAIMER

The NOTICE file does not follow standards.
The first 5 lines should look like the lines in === below:

Apache Kafka
Copyright ?-2011 The Apache Software Foundation.

The Apache Software Foundation (

The rest of the NOTICE file should be for *required* notices only; it
is not required to list other Apache projects.

The NOTICE file also contains a license, that should be in LICENSE.
No mention of sbt, which is in SVN - as that is also included in the
binary release, should that be mentioned in the NOTICE file?

> PGP release keys
> This vote is open until Thursday, Nov 17th 12 pm
> Thanks,
> Neha

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: