incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache opennlp-1.5.2-incubating-rc5
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:57:15 GMT
On 15 November 2011 11:57, Jörn Kottmann <kottmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/11 3:20 AM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 15 November 2011 02:12, Benson Margulies<bimargulies@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> That page is very misleading, and there was a long discussion of this
>>> topic elsewhere.
>>>
>>> Look at the example just above the requirement:
>>>
>>> "The Apache Xerces XML parsing library is easily configurable and
>>> compliant with current standards"
>>>
>>> Yes, in some sense, Xerces is an adjective there, but really what the
>>> senator is trying to say is to construct a particular noun phrase.
>>
>> AIUI, trademarks need to be used as if they are adjectives.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> The Hoover vacuum cleaner is versatile
>> NOT
>> The Hoover is a versatile vacuum cleaner
>>

> We will change our one sentence description to this:
> "The Apache OpenNLP library is a machine learning based toolkit for the
> processing of natural language text."
>
> What do you think?

That seems fine; also please needs to be changed whereever else it is
used, e.g. podlings.xml, web-page(s), Wiki reports...

> Anything else in the RC 5 which should be fixed? We will soon prepare
> our next release candidate, vote on our development list and will hopefully
> be back
> with a new release vote here next week.

As already noted, DISCLAIMER is missing.

Just noticed that the top-level NOTICE says

Apache OpenNLP

which is fine, but some of the META-INF/NOTICE files omit "Apache", for example:

OpenNLP Tools

That's wrong.
There's also a leading blank line which should be removed.