incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 20:06:08 GMT
On 18 November 2011 19:33, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2011, at 10:01 AM, sebb wrote:

So, is

>>> I am still confused.  All the source code that is needed to build the product
is in the tgz.  Can someone explain how that's not a source distribution?

>> The way I read the releases page [1] - see last para of section - a
>> binary release is an optional extra which is provided as a separate
>> file.
>>
>> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
>
> This is a reasonable opinion about how releases should be structured that I also share
but, that decision is for the community of that project to decide.  So long as the distribution
contains all the necessary source code to build the artifact we shouldn't care what else they
bundle in it unless it becomes an intolerable burden to our infrastructure.  These kinds
of qualitative decisions are best left to the community of that project to decide.

As I pointed out on the Board list, I don't see this as a matter for
the PMC to decide.