incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate ACE from the Apache Incubator
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:07:33 GMT
On 17 November 2011 10:42, Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
> In my opinion, ACE is ready to begin the process of graduating from the Apache Incubator
to a Top Level Project.

> Since joining the incubator in in May 2009 we've added 4 new committers (12 in total
now) from diverse organizations and did a release in May this year to demonstrate we follow
the Apache guidelines. We've shown an ability to self-govern using accepted Apache practices
and ACE continues to attract new contributors and users.

> The first step is to vote as a community, demonstrating that ACE is ready and willing
to graduate. Once this vote is succesful we create a board resolution proposal or Charter
and start a vote on the general incubator list. The full process is described at http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#toplevel

> The vote is open for at least 72 hours.

The last (and only) release was 0.8, as far as I can tell.

There is no KEYS file in http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ace/,
and there does not appear to be a full source archive of the project
anywhere.
The download page does not have a link to any source archives as far
as I can tell.
It does link to KEYS in SVN, but almost all other ASF projects have a
copy of KEYS in the appropriate /dist directory.

Normally releases are divided into binaries/ and source/ directories,
with a KEYS file in the top-level, i.e.

/dist/incubator/ace
- KEYS
- binaries/ace ....zip
- sources/ace....zip

Most of the files in the /dist/incubator/ace directory appear to be
Maven artifacts; normally these are not stored in /dist but only in
the Maven repo.
Indeed most of the files are also in Maven Central. The only non-Maven
files appear to be

org.apache.ace.target.devgateway-0.8.0-incubator-distribution.zip
org.apache.ace.target.devserver-0.8.0-incubator-distribution.zip

neither of which contains the source.

I would expect the above zips to be in

/dist/incubator/ace/binaries

with corresponding source files in

/dist/incubator/ace/source

The SVN layout [1] is also a bit unusual.
There is no tags/ directory for release tags, although there is a
releases/ directory containing individual entries for each release for
each component.
This is likely to become unmanageable very quickly, if every release
adds another 63 directory entries under releases/

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ace/