incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: concerns about high overhead in Apache incubator releases
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:14:25 GMT
On 28 November 2011 19:22, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

>> was worth re-cutting.
>>
>> We have been assuming that it is the rule of Apache to cut another RC even
>> if it gets a single -1 vote.

>> Although this seems reasonable, do people on this list believe this to be
>> true according to the Apache rulebook ?
>
> Yes. See http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

Which says:

Votes on Package Releases

Votes on whether a package is ready to be released follow a format
similar to majority approval -- except that the decision is officially
determined solely by whether at least three +1 votes were registered.
<<<

This specifically says that a majority is NOT required.
This does seem odd.

>> In other words, can the podling RM and committers question and contest a
> -1
>> vote ? Is there any possibility of vetoing that ? If yes, who can do that
>> in what circumstances ?
>
> If you have 3 binding +1s and a majority of +1s you can release. See above
> linked doc.

According to my reading of the cited doc, a majority is *not* needed.