incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NOTICE file must be minimal (was: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating)
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:04:41 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any consequences for downstream users if the file is incorrect?

To users no, to redistributors yes.

Section 4 of ALv2 makes the "attribution notices contained within" the
NOTICE file mandatory for any downstream distribution. Interpreting
the "excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the
Derivative Works" provision quickly becomes tricky if the NOTICE file
isn't well maintained.

For example, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-72 for
a case where I was having trouble tracking down whether certain
attributions really were needed for a downstream redistribution I was
working on.

> Are there any consequences for the ASF?

Not that I know of, though IANAL.

BR,