incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: should podlings have informal chairs?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 19:01:34 GMT
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well its a little confusing to expect anyone other than a mentor
> to shepherd a project- the corresponding "shepherd" at the TLP level
> is a board member responsible for interfacing between the board
> and the project on any action items post-board-meeting.
>

> I suggest we get back to figuring out exactly what problem we are
> trying to solve before we start looking for appropriate labels to
> attach to the role(s) we need.

+1

What have we got here? My personal view:

a) mentors AWOL
b) Measurable quantities of ignorance of ASF policies that are
supposed to be the fundamental invariants of what we do.
c) A Podling release voted up that later lead to 'I'm shocked,
shocked, to discover gambling going on' reactions from other iPMC
members at a graduation vote.
d) A PMC so large as to be inevitably incoherent as a body that sets
policy and makes decisions.

My tentative view is that there is a structural issue here: the
incubator PMC should not expand to accomodate all mentors. Its members
should all feel responsibility for supervision of all podlings, and
would need to figure out a way to scale that supervision other than
being a creature of 100 legs and no head.