incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: concerns about high overhead in Apache incubator releases
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:07:09 GMT
Suggestion:

There are cases where the 'official word' is a full-ASF document which
we don't lightly edit. Yet, we see some evidence that podlings have
trouble reaching the right interpretation.

We don't want to duplicate, but we could supplement.

Specific proposal: I'm willing to try to write a commentary on the
release policy, aimed at podlings. The tone would be: "Here are a set
of more narrow and specific guidelines. If you follow these, you are
absolutely in the clear. If you feel the need to look for more
latitude, you and your mentors should discuss the issues with the IPMC
(and if needed legal or the board) *before* you invest a lot of work.