incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: should podlings have informal chairs?
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 00:42:18 GMT
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sam,
>>
>> Do you see any validity in my theory that the ipmc is so large and
>> diffuse as to be directionless?
>
> I don't see that as a necessary consequence.  The ASF is large and
> diffuse, yet each month we pretty consistently get 6+ Directors to
> review and sign off on each report.  The board is careful to not set
> technical direction, but we do create and track action items, and work
> to make sure that the individual PMCs are self-governing and get the
> help that they need from the relevant board committees.

Compare, if you would, the board of six to the ipmc. There aren't six,
or sixteen, ipmc members who feel it's their job to review every PPMC
report before the whole business goes to the board. There's a chair,
who due to his volunteer status like the rest of us, shows more or
less engagement with the goings-on on this mailing list at different
times.

The ipmc more or less delegates to the mentors, and passes the PPMC
reports up to the board, with not much digestive activity in between.
In this sense I guess I'm trying to agree with you, but I wonder how
to get a giant committee of people, most of whom signed up just to
mentor one project, to actually step up and exercise more oversight.
Of course we've got a few people like Sebb who try to stay on top of
everything.

Since there are only six board members, they all know that they,
themselves, have to read this stuff and think about it. If there were
106, I doubt that anything would get attended to unless a subset were
somehow tasked. So I suppose that I'm trying to float the idea that,
somehow, less than the full ipmc needs to focus. I suppose that the
committee could create a category of meta-mentor, and people who sign
up for that role would be signing up to read all the reports and
perhaps even look over the shoulders a bit of the projects.

Should I believe
http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#incubator-pmc that
there are 878 ipmc members, or is this some sort of ldap artifact?