incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: should podlings have informal chairs?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 08:42:42 GMT
On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some time back we moved to having 3 mentors, which had the positive of more hands and
enough binding votes, but the downside of no single person "on the hook" for a podling's reporting
and progress towards graduation.

> Should we appoint one of the mentors at the start to be the "chair" of the PPMC, in the
same way as a full project? I would see them as responsible for ensuring the podling is reporting,
and that all of the mentors are engaged and signing off the reports.

> As the podling matures, this role could be transitioned to the person who will be nominated
as the chair of the project after it graduates, if they are ready for that.

> What do others think?

I think appointing a chair in the early stages is likely to work
against building a community of peers.

I think that establishing a chair once community has self-organised
would be a good idea.

Robert (who thinks that we need to introduce more defined stages as
steps towards graduation)