incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: should podlings have informal chairs?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 08:59:50 GMT
On 21 November 2011 08:42, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some time back we moved to having 3 mentors, which had the positive of more hands
and enough binding votes, but the downside of no single person "on the hook" for a podling's
reporting and progress towards graduation.

>> Should we appoint one of the mentors at the start to be the "chair" of the PPMC,
in the same way as a full project? I would see them as responsible for ensuring the podling
is reporting, and that all of the mentors are engaged and signing off the reports.

>> As the podling matures, this role could be transitioned to the person who will be
nominated as the chair of the project after it graduates, if they are ready for that.

>> What do others think?
>
> I think appointing a chair in the early stages is likely to work
> against building a community of peers.

I agree, especially if that "chair" is also a mentor. Mentors are not
supposed to *do* only to *guide*.

On the other hand, I do think the original point of none of the three
mentors being responsible is a problem.

> I think that establishing a chair once community has self-organised
> would be a good idea.

Not before graduation. I have seen, in a number of podlings, that the
obvious choice of a chair half way through graduation (for example) is
often not the same choice at the end of graduation.

Ross