incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Committers welcome email
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 20:59:39 GMT
On 22 November 2011 18:08, Daniel Shahaf <> wrote:
> The following point was recently made on another list:
>> You were given a commit bit on the expectation that you'll use it
>> reasonably and with common sense.
> Does Incubator communicate to initial podling commiters the above, and
> other expectations from commiters?

I don't know abut the IPMC itself, but I always try to communicate
that to podlings I mentor with a "commit priveleges not rights" kind
of email after the first committer is voted in (or earlier if
discussions take a "we must protect ourselves" turn).

> Does anyone point initial committers
> to the committer welcome mail templates that various projects use?

Yes, I encourage all my podling projects to use slightly modified
versions of the templates over on ComDev [1], although I discovered
today that there are templates in Incubator too.

I just added the following to that template, based on the quote above:
"These privileges are offered on the understanding that you'll use
them reasonably and with common sense. We like to work on trust rather
than unnecessary constraints."