incubator-general mailing list archives

From Karl Pauls <karlpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate ACE from the Apache Incubator
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:18:46 GMT
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:08 PM, ant elder <antelder@apache.org> wrote:
> Well IMHO i don't think this release demonstrates that the poddling
> has an understanding of making or reviewing ASF releases and thats the
> point of requiring releases during incubation.

So you want us to do a new release? Fine, whatever, we can just roll a
new release which has the source distribution configured. That was a
mistake in the first place as it makes the bundles not easily
individually buildable.

However, we still will not have a combined source release as we want
to be able to release our bundles individually. Is that the resolution
then? All we have to do is a do a micro release with the source
distribution configured on a per artifact level?

> The comment from Guillaume in this thread was just about naming the
> SVN folder containing the tags "releases" instead of "tags" which no
> one is saying is a major issue.

No, he had two remarks, one about the tags and one about the source releases.

regards,

Karl

>   ...ant
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Karl Pauls <karlpauls@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, I agree and disagree at the same time :-).
>>
>> On the one hand (as pointed out by Guillaume Nodet), we should have
>> generated the source distribution for each bundle. We switched to a
>> newer parent pom and did miss that we should have configured that.
>> This makes it not very practical to build the release and we for sure
>> will configure it next time.
>>
>> On the other hand, we don't want to provide a single source
>> distribution for all bundles as we still want to release our bundles
>> independently from each other.
>>
>> In summary, the next release will contain easier to build source
>> distributions for each bundle but not a single source distribution for
>> all of them. That is a good catch overall but I don't think it makes
>> this release invalid (as the required things are there - just
>> unfortunately not very practical to build).  As we are planning to
>> roll a 1.0.0 release anyways when graduated, I'd say lets ask for
>> graduation and then provide a 1.0.0 release which has the source
>> distribution configured per bundle. How about that?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 2:56 AM, ant elder <antelder@apache.org> wrote:
>>> That seems an unusual approach to building the src. It also means that
>>> to build the complete 0.8.0 release which contains 60 something
>>> modules would require manually typing in over 400 commands which is
>>> not very practical, i doubt anyone who voted +1 for the release
>>> actually did that. I think an ASF release like this should have also
>>> had a single source distribution that contained all the source for all
>>> those modules along with a build script to build them, and IMHO your
>>> mentors should have helped you do that. Would you consider doing
>>> another release like this before you graduate?
>>>
>>>  ...ant

The release

README) ?

of graduating from the Apache Incubator to a Top Level Project.

added 4 new committers (12 in total now) from diverse organizations and did a release in May
this year to demonstrate we follow the Apache guidelines. We've shown an ability to self-govern
using accepted Apache practices and ACE continues to attract new contributors and users.

that ACE is ready and willing to graduate. Once this vote is succesful we create a board resolution
proposal or Charter and start a vote on the general incubator list. The full process is described
at http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#toplevel