incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <>
Subject Re: Voting time period can be shortened ? (was: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating)
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 08:54:20 GMT
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Neha Narkhede <> wrote:
> Hi,
> The context for this is the discussion here -
> This was a long discussion with no clear answers.
> We would like to know if it is OK to either -
> 1. shorten the release VOTE for change to one non-code file

The voting policy only says:

"Votes should generally be permitted to run for at least 72 hours to
provide an opportunity for all concerned persons to participate
regardless of their geographic locations." -

So nothing there says 72 hours is an absolute minimum. I've seen TLPs
do releases in less than 72 hours, usually to fix something like a
very serious issue in a previous release. And this was discussed on
this list a year or so ago and consensus was that that was ok. That
should be fine for poddlings too but I'd expect you'd need a very good
reason to convince three Incubator PMC members to vote for a release
like that.

> 2. run 72 hour vote in parallel on the dev list as well as on general@

Thats totally fine and happens often, as Paul pointed out Libcloud did
that for most of its releases and many other poddlings have too. If a
poddling keeps sending low quality releases to votes on general@
people might stop bothering to review and vote on them so poddlings
probably only want to do this once they're a bit confident with their

> What we would like to know is if any member would "-1" the vote if we
> choose to do either of the above ?

Even if they did a -1 on a release vote is not a veto.

> Thanks,
> Neha

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: