incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: should podlings have informal chairs?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:51:48 GMT
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 21 November 2011 08:42, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Some time back we moved to having 3 mentors, which had the positive of more hands
and enough binding votes, but the downside of no single person "on the hook" for a podling's
reporting and progress towards graduation.

>>> Should we appoint one of the mentors at the start to be the "chair" of the PPMC,
in the same way as a full project? I would see them as responsible for ensuring the podling
is reporting, and that all of the mentors are engaged and signing off the reports.

>>> As the podling matures, this role could be transitioned to the person who will
be nominated as the chair of the project after it graduates, if they are ready for that.

>>> What do others think?
>>
>> I think appointing a chair in the early stages is likely to work
>> against building a community of peers.
>
> I agree, especially if that "chair" is also a mentor. Mentors are not
> supposed to *do* only to *guide*.
>
> On the other hand, I do think the original point of none of the three
> mentors being responsible is a problem.
>
>> I think that establishing a chair once community has self-organised
>> would be a good idea.
>
> Not before graduation. I have seen, in a number of podlings, that the
> obvious choice of a chair half way through graduation (for example) is
> often not the same choice at the end of graduation.

As an alternative then what about making the poddling champion a more
active role? Presently most champions are usually just a name on the
initial proposal who do little during incubation, we could change that
and for example require the champion to also contribute a line or two
to the poddling report about how its going and what they'd like to see
happening to progress graduation.

   ...ant