incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <>
Subject Re: should podlings have informal chairs?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 21:51:47 GMT
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Joe Schaefer <> wrote:
> Add this item for discussion then:
> * currently the board is overloaded with parsing and processing the IPMC
> monthly reports, and would like to delegate most of that review to the
> the IPMC chair, who should figure out how to delegate that to the IPMC
> membership, who should figure out how to promote effective reviewers to
> the IPMC, and deprecate the IPMC membership of awol mentors (my pet issue).

That is expressed rather colorfully and doesn't capture the key dynamics.

As a Director, I can state that I am not overloaded.  Simply getting
the report to the board 72 hours in advance would be sufficient for
me.  But there is a growing perception (perhaps unfair, but a
perception nevertheless) that the board is expected to be the first
line of defense... reading reports that are clearly incomplete and
identifying actions that need to be taken.

This is not the proper function of the board.  If, for example, the
right action to be taken is to "deprecate the IPMC membership of awol
mentors", who do you expect should be the ones to take that action?
If it gets to the point where the board needs to do that, it will be a
sign that the incubator is not self-governing, and the action that is
taken will be focused on that problem, not on the problem of awol

I say that as a Director, a member of the Incubator, and yes, as an
awol mentor.  I know that whatever action is taken will not decrease
my workload, at best, it merely will shift that work from one 'hat' to

My suggestion remains that PPMCs be expected to produce reports by the
first of the month, and then the Incubator PMC members review and take
action based on those reports.  I'll now go a step further, and while
the PPMC reports should be made available for review, possibly via a
URL, the meat of the report that the board should be reviewing is the
actions taken by the Incubator PMC to resolve any problems that are
identified by podlings.

- Sam Ruby

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: