incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator" (was: should podlings have informal chairs?)
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:29:40 GMT
Hi Incubator PMC,

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Should we appoint one of the mentors at the start to be the "chair" of the PPMC, in
the same
> way as a full project? I would see them as responsible for ensuring the podling is reporting,
and
> that all of the mentors are engaged and signing off the reports....

Considering the discussions in that thread I think we have consensus
on the following expansions, or rather clarifications, of the role of
a podling's Champion:

1. Coordinate the creation and timely delivery of the podling's board reports

2. Keep an eye on the mentors' activity and take action (ask for new
mentors, talk to Incubator PMC) if they don't seem to provide enough
oversight or mentorship to the podling

And we also seem to have consensus on the following:

3. The Champion is not necessarily a mentor.

4. The podling can elect a new Champion at any time

5. As the podling progresses, it might be a good idea to elect its
future PMC chair as Champion, as their tasks are similar

6. Existing podlings will need to elect a Champion, unless their
current one agrees to take on the above tasks.

WDYT?

-Bertrand