incubator-general mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: concerns about high overhead in Apache incubator releases
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 02:56:52 GMT
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> I think you missed a very important part of what I said, let me quote
> the para you refer to:
[snip]
> My point is we can't expect the mentors to type everything over and
> over again for every podling, that's why we have docs. We can (and
> should) expect mentors to answer questions and point out errors in the
> application of what is learned from the docs.

Fair point, though the prevailing IPMC consensus is difficult to
identify and more relevant than the docs. Suffice to say that we'll
update the latter. Doing it on general@ feels like repaving a potholed
road without diverting traffic, but we can try it.

> This I can agree with. There are other threads underway right now
> addressing this very point. Do you think the proposals floating around
> right now will help address this and provide adequate support to
> mentors?

I doubt I'm caught up on all the threads, but changing the "champion"
role to be more accountable and enforcing pass/fail for projects in a
sane timeframe sounds like a good start. Chris's idea of identifying
IPMC members with particular specialties- for mentors and PPMC members
to ask questions and get straight answers- would be a welcome service,
also.

So that the root of this thread is not lost: the Kafka podling is
about to roll its 8th RC, after updating the LICENSE to include the
NUnit requirement. If any IPMC member has other feedback for the last
RC:

http://s.apache.org/Vnr

NOW is the time to provide it. -C