incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Voting time period can be shortened ? (was: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating)
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 01:34:25 GMT
> On 11/29/2011 4:00 PM, Neha Narkhede wrote:
>>
>> We would like to know if it is OK to either -
>>
>> 1. shorten the release VOTE for change to one non-code file
>> 2. run 72 hour vote in parallel on the dev list as well as on general@
>
> I've never seen a point to 2) to running serial votes. You need only 3
> +1's (more +1's than -1's)... usually three mentors are enough to finish
> amoung the dev@ list, but announcing the vote (and its conclusion) on the
> general@ list seems entirely appropriate. If folks at general@ would
> like to have more input on the release, the ppmc dev@ list is really the
> best place to get involved.
>
> It is important to always allow 72 full hours. The reason is simple, we
> have participants in nearly every timezone, people who are here only on
> their own time, and more people who are here almost exclusively on work
> hours. 72 hours is long enough to accommodate them all, if they care to
> participate.

[... trackpad arguing with me over whether I was done ...]

So as I previously pointed out; *if* the community is already familiar
with the candidate, thoroughly reviewed it for that full 72 hours, then
if the RM replied to "this file is broken" with "I'll fast-track only that
fix and roll a final candidate with a shortened 24 hour final vote" should
put everyone in the frame of mind to review the revised candidate.

But you can't ever shorten the net review time below three days :)