incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [policy] release vetoes?
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 23:30:46 GMT
On 11/28/2011 3:19 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2011, at 11:21 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>
>> No - nobody can veto a release.  But you also can't slip in a vetoed patch
>> and say "this is a release vote, its not subject to veto".  Well, as I had
>> hinted, the RM can withdraw a vote, which is sort of like a self-veto.
>
> A finer, maybe obvious, point to this statement, there are minimum requirements that
must be adhered to.

That gets a bit confusing though.  You can't release a work under
the GPL or BSD license from the ASF, that would be a board policy.

But then there are conventions, which if the majority of the project
don't feel are applicable [anymore] to this [particular] project, are
subject to change through a release vote.

For example, at httpd project, you cannot "retag", if we burn a release
rev number, we simply move on.  Other projects are perfectly happy with
spinning RC numbers until they arrive at the perfect sequential .0, .1
.2 releases.