incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject [policy] release vetoes?
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:21:22 GMT
On 11/28/2011 1:00 PM, Neha Narkhede wrote:
>>> That is because, every single time, the RM agreed that the release
>>> was worth re-cutting.
>
> We have been assuming that it is the rule of Apache to cut another RC even
> if it gets a single -1 vote.

And that isn't correct, as Joe was kind enough to point out.

>>> A majority of +1's over -1's is required, obviously :)
>
> Although this seems reasonable, do people on this list believe this to be
> true according to the Apache rulebook ?
>
> In other words, can the podling RM and committers question and contest a -1
> vote ? Is there any possibility of vetoing that ? If yes, who can do that
> in what circumstances ?

Yes - you may always try to persuade someone who voted -1 to reconsider,
especially by providing more information.  For a code veto, that could
include the fact that they failed to make a technical argument.  Once they
have a technical basis, you can't "dispute" it even if you disagree with
it, it remains a veto.  But always try to negotiate towards mutually
agreeable code!

No - nobody can veto a release.  But you also can't slip in a vetoed patch
and say "this is a release vote, its not subject to veto".  Well, as I had
hinted, the RM can withdraw a vote, which is sort of like a self-veto.

http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html was just recently revised by
Roy Fielding (ASF Director and founding officer) based on some nonsense
back-channel complaints, and might be worth integrating into incubator
docs.