incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Fw: [VOTE] Graduate ACE from the Apache Incubator
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 17:28:24 GMT
On 11/21/2011 11:11 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
> Speaking wearing a hat:
>
> There is no requirement for monolithic releases. The project can
> choose whatever units it likes to release, so long as each one of them
> is fully buildable from the materials voted on in the release. If they
> want to hold one vote on 400 of them, well, it casts some doubt on
> whether the voters actually tried them all, but then again many TLPs
> inspire doubt in my mind as to whether voters are actually testing all
> the source packages.

If a project is creating 400 discrete "releases", this sounds to me
like an umbrella project.  Consider the ability to "announce" that
a new release has occurred, and the frequency with which those would
be broadcast.

There's nothing wrong with a release model which provides for updated
components within a much larger project, on a faster release cycle,
but clear documentation of which have been updated and which components
are still at their older revision that was previously approved.