incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator" (was: should podlings have informal chairs?)
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 17:17:14 GMT
My apologies for the diversion.  I should not have said anything about my direct knowledge
of a champion being an IPMC member or not.  Whether I knew that or not was irrelevant to the
point I wanted to make, which is now evidently lost.

1. I find value in the idea of the original champion continuing as a champion over the life
of the PPMC (unless replaced) and serving as a mentor of the mentors.

2. I do not find value in that role being taken over by a non-mentor PPMC member because of
the hazards already mentioned and because a champion has karma that PPMC members do not.
Losing such a resource (and a go-to person when mentor-support is MIA, and vice versa) strikes
me as too costly/risky.  Also, it strikes me as important that a graduatable PPMC not have
any indispensable members.  One way to ensure that is to keep the responsibilities diffuse
and also accounted for.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2011 02:08
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Cc: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator" (was:
should podlings have informal chairs?)

On 24 November 2011 03:29, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> I'm sorry.  I did not mean to suggest that the champion of the PPMC of which I am
a member is any of those cases.  I'm certain our champion is an ASF Member.  I haven't checked
to see if the champion is a member of the IPMC, though I wouldn't be surprised.

> You (as a committer) can verify that for yourself by looking here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/committee-info.txt

Or consult the public

http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#incubator-pmc

which *should* be the same (it's the LDAP committee list for incubator).

>> I was not speaking on behalf of champions being elected at all.  The case in my experience
is where a champion continued championing after the podling was established.

>>  - Dennis
>
> - Sam Ruby

[ ... ]