incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: incubator is a single group
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:35:48 GMT
Small items:

 1. There are no podling PPMC members that have the necessary authorizations, even though
they are committers.  Mentors (and a champion) yes, chair no.  This is partly why there are
these regular calls for a mentor or someone on the incubator PMC to connect some dots.

 2. The authz is currently the only structure that carries who the official committers of
a podling are and this can be cross-checked with in-podling records for managing intake of
new committers, PPMC members, and reflecting changes in status that arise.  This can be maintained
within the PPMC but it is great to have "ground truth" in a concrete artifact that does not
depend on how well a podling does or does not manage its administrivia.  Making more work
for secretary@ also doesn't seem like a win.

I sympathize with Roy's concern for where this moves some burdensome work.  My only concern
that it not make it even more awkward/unreliable to operate within a podling, where not all
the dots are visible, let alone a means to connect them.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 05:24
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: incubator is a single group

On 11 November 2011 07:58, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> It has come to my attention that we are wasting resources and
> time trying to manage separate committer lists within infra for
> every podling.  That is something that we can effectively manage
> once a TLP has become self-governing and self-sufficient in its
> interaction with infrastructure.  It is not something that we can
> effectively manage when we have dozens of podlings trying to make
> changes through the incubator chair.

SVN podling access is currently managed through a file which can be
updated by members of the pmc-chairs group.
[And a few others such as infra/execs]
So it is no only just the incubator chair who can update the file.

[AFAIK, there aren't any separate LDAP groups for podlings; all
podling SVN access groups are managed by that file.]

> I *suggest* that incubator change the procedure such that all
> committers (or at least all committers within a single LDAP
> group) have access to all incubator areas and that new people
> simply be requested to only commit within areas for which they
> have been given permission by the podling developers.  That
> will significantly ease everyone's job and allow more direct
> control by podlings for inviting/uninviting their devs.

There is already an "incubator" LDAP group, to which all podling
committers should belong, as it gives access to website updates.
This could also be given access to podling SVN directories.

If the individual podling member lists were abandoned, I think there
would still need to be a way to document the current members of a
podling.

The lists in the SVN auth file are currently used for that purpose
(e.g. they are used in creating
http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html)