incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SITE] navigation
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 05:32:01 GMT
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:28 AM, David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
> The Incubator website has many documentation pages and sections.
> Another aspect that needs attention is the recent changes
> to link colours, which have removed the ability to know
> where one has been.
> It is important to be able to know which parts of the
> documentation have already been visited.

Thanks for bringing it up again.

Looking at the references I don't think we need other colors for
visited links. It cures the symptom, but not the sickness. Actually we
have:

- duplicated naviagtion
- navigation on the left which is the same as in content, just other headline
- duplicated or misleading content (see: http://bit.ly/rflYrv )
- Items on the left navigation which leads to the page ("podlign
guides" and "entry guides")
- highly nested sitemap - no one is going to read that. Even the
questions of the FAQ are listed here.

and so on.

This makes the whole incubator site a pretty complicated place. We
need to fix the content and the structure of the navigation first.
Maybe even with overlay/dropdown navigation.

In addition we should think about breadcrumbs to know where we are
NOW, because you can easily get lost in the incubator pages (in
combination with heavy navigation) and simply need to click the logo
to start again.

Another reason I don't see the need to change visited link colors is
the nature of the docs. I mean they are docs. Do you read docs only
one time? Not me, I read it often, it is unnecessary for know where I
was already. This is only necesasry if I have the same link pointing
to a page a thousand times.

My 2 cents.

As Sebb already suggested, we should make up a branch to fix these items.

Cheers
Christian