incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating empire?
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2011 14:05:54 GMT

> Prospective podlings are well-advised to consider that if things don't work
> out, a project which might have been perfectly viable elsewhere for years to
> come will have to deal with both the disruption of a name change and the
> stigma of having a big red termination stamp applied by the Incubator PMC.

I have one additional thought here. If the foundation really doesn't
want a 5-person stable project, I think that the incubator should
state objective criteria: you get X years and you have to show Y
people.

In the case of Empire, I have a special sympathy for them because they
have been permitted to exist in the incubator for such a long time.
The negative impact of being sent out into the cold, cruel, world of
github and no foundation-al legal cover strikes me as getting larger
the longer you operate as a podling.

Even so, my basic view is that these folks are viable as a TLP, and if
someone really disagrees, I might feel strongly enough to ask the
board to shoot my head off for asking it to weigh in.