incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Mailing list teething pains
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2011 19:08:00 GMT
The startup of accumulo has been, from my point of view, strangely
painful for mailing list moderation. I'd like to learn something from
this for the next time around.

Here's what I think is the relevant history:

1) The initial committers all subscribe to the lists with their
favorite email addresses (not their @apache.org addresses).
2) They also sign up for JIRA the same way.

Next thing I know, I (and other mods) are up to our ears in moderation
email. All the commits, and all of the JIRA email, are moderated, as
having different from addresses then the subscriptions. Eventually, I
researched the special email address for 'add this alias' and used it
for everyone.

Meanwhile, I have this very vague memory that mod email from some
Apache lists used to include a link to click that would add the sender
as a permitted sender once and for all. Did I dream it?

Is there something simple I missed in terms of instructions to the
initial committers that would have avoided this?