incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trademark Kill Searches...
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:18:01 GMT
On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> The trademark task[1] seemed a little dated to me - especially since
> the brand team started focusing on trademarks[2] - and poorly
> documented. So, I started looking into improvements...
>
> (Apologies in advance for presenting my views here on some initial
> discussions on the private trademark lists. Members are encouraged to
> subscribe.)
>
> Just passing everything onto the brand team is likely to stretch the
> resources they have available. So, I think the Incubator needs to
> remain involved in the process. Reporting facts in public is fine but
> interpretation is tricky and best discussed in private[3] with experts
> available. So, the brand team also needs to be involved. My proposed
> starting point is that an improved process should separate the public
> (Incubator community) from the private (Brand community).
>
> Rat needs to perform it's kill search[4]. So I thought we might be
> able to use that as a worked example to grow an improved process.
>
> Opinions? Objections? Improvements? Comments?

<silence/>

(sounds like lazy consensus so I'll push on)

More eyes make all bugs shallow :-)

ATM each podling conducts a kill search guided by just [1]. I know of
no public record of what was done (if anyone knows where fact finding
is recorded, please jump in :-)

Incubator-wide public records would improve oversight[5] and reduce
the bar to learning by example.  Using a JIRA project[6] (unless
anyone jumps in with a good candidate, a new one) to record and
coordinate fact finding seems like an easy way to do this.

Opinions? Objections? Improvements? Alternatives?

Robert

> [1] "Make sure that the requested project name does not already exist
> and check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not already
> trademarked for an existing software product."
> [2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
> [3] Public speculation may be relevant in court
> [4] AIUI this is the usual name for our task
[5] by Incubator, brand and legal communities
[6] Within the Incubator
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#10024