incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating empire?
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:49:09 GMT
On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Rainer Döbele <doebele@esteam.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> thanks Jukka for your view on this issue and thank you Benson for bringing this topic
up.

> I am one of the Empire-db committers and certainly we would appreciate it very much if
there is a way for us to graduate.
> It is true that we are a small community of around 5 regularly active committers but
at least we're divers (i.e. non related and regionally distributed) and as far as we can tell
from our mailing lists, it looks as there are a number of users who appriciate our work as
they ask questions and give us positive feedback.

> Personally I would find it very sad if we would not be able to continue staying with
the ASF as we kind of feel at home here and everything we do is done the Apache way. The one
thing we have failed, is to advertise and market our project better. As we all have our jobs
to do and no (time) sponsor for this we always rather spent our time improving the code rather
than working on marekting - and to be honest, being software developers marketing is not really
our core competence. I would not be surprised if other projects in the incubator would have
similar problems.

> Certainly there is no way for us to compete with projects like Subversion or Open Office
and there is no way for us to ever get there.
> But I hope that it is not only size that matters.

IMHO 5 diverse, active and regular committers is enough to sustain a TLP

I would be reluctant to graduate small projects before they've
demonstrated sustainability but I think that empire-db has done this.

Robert