incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mailing list teething pains
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2011 04:42:19 GMT
Benson Margulies wrote:
> The startup of accumulo has been, from my point of view, strangely
> painful for mailing list moderation. I'd like to learn something from
> this for the next time around.
>
> Here's what I think is the relevant history:
>
> 1) The initial committers all subscribe to the lists with their
> favorite email addresses (not their @apache.org addresses).

Or they can use their apache.org address (it forwards).
Especially useful for the commits list.

> 2) They also sign up for JIRA the same way.
>
> Next thing I know, I (and other mods) are up to our ears in moderation
> email. All the commits, and all of the JIRA email, are moderated, as
> having different from addresses then the subscriptions. Eventually, I
> researched the special email address for 'add this alias' and used it
> for everyone.
>
> Meanwhile, I have this very vague memory that mod email from some
> Apache lists used to include a link to click that would add the sender
> as a permitted sender once and for all. Did I dream it?
>
> Is there something simple I missed in terms of instructions to the
> initial committers that would have avoided this?

We have probably all been burnt by that.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#Voting+in+a+new+committer
and
http://apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newcommitter
refer the new committer to various getting started docs
including
http://apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html
and
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/committer.html
and
http://apache.org/dev/#committers
which gets them to
http://apache.org/dev/committers.html#first-commit

If they are not already subscribed to the
project commits list using their apache.org address
(or subscribed themseleves using the "allow" technique)
then their first commit needs to be moderated to add them
to the "allow" list.

Encourage them to do a single commit when starting.
When they see their diff message hit the mail list,
then they are ready to proceed without swamping
the moderators.

IIRC, then with JIRA it needs to be added to the "allow"
list soon after it is first established.

If you can improve some docs then please do.

-David