incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Layout change version 2
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 13:13:45 GMT
On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 01:15:52PM +0200, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> Anyway I made you a quick'n'dirty look for fluid:
> http://code.grobmeier.de/incubator-draft-v2/index-fluid.html

Well, the previous iteration (<http://code.grobmeier.de/incubator-draft-v2>)
was also "fluid", in the same way that just about every other modern major
site is fluid: there are graphical elements, either visible (the top bars on
<http://cnn.com>, <http://news.yahoo.com>) or invisible (the container
divs on <http://nytimes.com>, <http://yahoo.com>) which grow and shrink so
that the page always looks appropriate no matter the browser window width.

It's just that the boxes which hold *text* did not change width in your
previous variant.

> Do you like that more?
> Other thoughts?

I really like the way the previous iteration was going, and I strongly prefer
it over the fluid-text-box variation.

Aesthetically, super long line lengths make it difficult for the eye to
re-anchor itself on the next line when jumping left -- they are taxing for the
same reason that ragged-left justification is harder on the eye than
ragged-right.

Practically, fluid text boxes are more demanding to design around in terms of
CSS wizardry, spacial visualization skills and web design experience.  The
centered-rigid layout will be easier for others to maintain and to keep things
looking right in all browsers and at all window widths.

Cheers,

Marvin Humphrey