incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving the incubator web site to the CMS
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:23:57 GMT
On 17 September 2011 18:03, Mohammad Nour El-Din
<nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi...
>
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 16 September 2011 19:28, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In an effort to reduce the number of procedures vying for neurons in
>>> my memory, I think it would be good if we went ahead and CMS-ed the
>>> incubator website. I'm willing to help Joe with this, and he suggested
>>> that I post this message looking for other contributors to the effort.
>
> Please count me in. Did you discuss any procedures for this effort, I
> mean are we going to do it manually or we need to automate it somehow
> ?
>

>> The incubator site currently in incubator/public/trunk is the source
>> for only part of the files under /www/incubator.apache.org/.
>> The other files are either maintained manually by podlings, or some
>> use svn pub sub.
>>
>> Is that mixture going to cause a problem?
>> Perhaps it would be worth considering rearranging the layout so that
>> the podling trees were distinct from the main incubator site and
>> status files.
>
> I think that would be easier when it is CMSed, AFAIU of how the CMS
> works, for new podlings write access would be given to Mentors and
> they will have to add/update relevant Incubator pages which is more
> easy to do on CMS.

I was referring to the fact that the podling *web-site* is at

/incubator/podling

which is part of the Incubator site.

There should be no problem updating podling *status pages* under
/incubator/projects/, which are part of the incubator/public SVN.

However, /incubator/podling *web sites* are created in various
different ways and have different SVN source.
Apart from the huge extra conversion effort, I don't think we should
force podlings to use CMS.

>> Also, what about clutch? That currently depends on being able to read
>> some XML files.
>
> Although I have another long term idea for that, but it can be updated
> to read the relevant pages of Incubator CMS, and I am also very
> willing to help in that.

I think we should base clutch on a separate simple summary file, which
is then used to create various aspects of the CMS site, as well as
being used for other purpose. The CMS syntax is very flexible, and
harder to parse.

Having a purpose-designed podling status file would make Clutch's job
much easier, as well as being easier to edit.
For example, now when a podling graduates, the entry has to be moved
from one section to another.
A dedicated status file would just required changing the status entry.