incubator-general mailing list archives

From Angelo zerr <angelo.z...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replace itext with PDFBox for XDocReport project?
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 08:11:27 GMT
Hi PDFBox Team,

I suppose that my post was not well explained as I have no answer. I will be
very happy to use PDFBox in our XDocReport converter (docx-> PDF and odt->
PDF) but develop converter is a big work and I can not investiaget time if I
have no support.

The big problem with PDFBox is that it doesn't provide complex widget. Yes
we can do it (liek
http://fahdshariff.blogspot.com/2010/10/creating-tables-with-pdfbox.html),
but IMHO I think PDFBox should provide widgets like table, table-row,
chapter, section, etc like iText. I hope you will understand my idea (I
apologize if you think I offend you).

There is somebody in the XDocReport forum (please see at
http://groups.google.com/group/xdocreport/browse_thread/thread/3f453ed7e53f1ebd)
who want implement a converter with PDFBox but he doesn't know very well
PDFBox. I suggest him to implement at first PDFBox widgets. If he can do it
an dif he agree, I think it should be cool if he can contribute to PDFBox
widgets.

Thank a lot for your help.

Regards Angelo

2011/8/12 Angelo zerr <angelo.zerr@gmail.com>

> Hi PDFBox Team,
>
> I introduce to me. I'm Angelo ZERR, one of developer of XDocRepor
> <http://code.google.com/p/xdocreport/>It's Java API to merge XML document
> created with MS Office <http://office.microsoft.com/fr-fr/> (docx) or
> OpenOffice <http://www.openoffice.org/> (odt), LibreOffice<http://www.libreoffice.org/>(odt)
with a Java model to generate report and convert it if you need to
> another format (PDF, XHTML...).
>
> * To convert ODT -> PDF, process is to load ODT with ODFDOM and loop for
> each Java ODFDOM structure to create iText widget. Please read
> http://code.google.com/p/xdocreport/wiki/ODFDOMConverter
> * To convert Docx -> PDF, process is to load docx with POI (HWPF) and loop
> for each Java HWPF structure to create iText widget. Please read
> http://code.google.com/p/xdocreport/wiki/XWPFConverter
>
> You can play with XDocReport at
> http://xdocreport.opensagres.cloudbees.net/processReport.jsp where you can
> generate report and convert it to XHTML:PDF (select the converter combo). An
> iframe display the result of the report converted. If you change the data
> model of the form, iframe is refreshed at runtime. So you can evaluate the
> performance of the XDocReport.
>
> XDocReport provides Java converter for docx and odt. We wish gives our 2
> converter for POI and ODFDOM (soon Apache) but problem is itext license. So
> we tell us if we could replace itext with PDFBox to manage converter for odt
> and docx. odt and docx can be complex like Table, image in a table cell,
> etc... and it seems that PDFPox doesn't support widget Table (just find this
> article
> http://fahdshariff.blogspot.com/2010/10/creating-tables-with-pdfbox.htmlbut if we wish
manage images in a table cell, etc...I would like avoid